Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shame vs. Pride


Among our famlilial vernacular here at Me Show Central prominently feature the terms Shit Shame (SS) and Poo Pride (PP).  They're pretty self-explanatory, but I will explain them anyway because I love the sound of my own voice even when it's written.  SS is best personified by the character of Paul "Shit Break" Finch from the American Pie franchise, who would beat a hasty retreat from school to his home when a #2 came a-knockin' at his back door.  PP is best represented in my mind by a boy SLB and I went to high school with (this would be your cousin, Adam, Mrs. Miller) who would announce every day after lunch in chemistry class that he had to "drop the bomb," get up, leave, do his business, and return to class triumphant.  So, you see the delineation between SS and PP is clear.  But not so clear is on which side of this divide this falls:

J.D. Salinger's Toilet for Sale on Ebay

Because J.D. Salinger was a notorious recluse, I wonder if that automatically implies SS.  But perhaps he was only reclusive in how and whether he spoke to the public about his writing and was in his personal life a proud and performative pooper.  I'm certain that somewhere in his private papers is some piece of incontrovertible (I almost wrote "solid," but thought better of it.  No.  Wait.  I didn't think better after all.) evidence to demonstrate whether he was cringing or beaming on the john, and I eagerly await its public announcement and celebration by inhabitants of the crossroads of literary appreciation and feculent connoisseurship.

3 comments:

Brianna said...

I was in your chemistry class and I have no memory of this! Please fill me in at once!

Christina said...

ah! it was in SLB's chemistry class the year before we took it. i combined our experiences because i operate under the delusion that i'm writing for an enormous general audience. of course, i really write for you and my mom...

danicalynn said...

I love my family.